Dialogue seminar at the European Commission.
Dialogue and advocacy at the European level is an important part of the mission of the Conference of European Churches. Through our offices in Brussels and Strasbourg, we bring the concerns of our membership to the European Union and Council of Europe.
We follow and analyse the activity of European political institutions, work with our membership to develop Conference of European Churches positions on important issues, and provide opportunity for churches to engage directly with these bodies.
Open, regular, and transparent dialogue between churches and the European Union takes place according to Article 17 of the Treaty of the Functioning of the European Union. We often cooperate with the Commission of the Bishops’ Conferences of the European Union (COMECE), the Churches’ Commission for Migrants in Europe (CCME), and others in our dialogue with the EU.
Our work in this area includes:
- Regular dialogue seminars with the European Commission
- Meetings with the presidency of the Council of the EU, involving our member churches at the national level
- High-level religious leaders’ meeting at the European Commission
- Ad-hoc meetings, workshops, and conferences with participation from church representatives and experts
- Contributions to public consultations organised by the European Union